Sunday, May 16, 2010

Finally something for me!

Most of what I sew is either for my children or for Ebony Creations, so to sit down this week and sew something for me made a very nice change!

Next month we are moving to Melbourne, and due to our soon-to-be bigger mortgage, we have decided to start a rather strict budget. How does this relate to sewing for myself? Well, I decided I needed a small coin purse to hold our food budget money. To keep within the budget, I found a free tutorial for a Coin Purse and used fabric out of my stash. I wasn't too sure which interfacing to use, and should have gone with a thinner one as the purse ended up almost too thick to sew through! I'll know for next time. As a result, the purse isn't quite as neat or straight as I would have liked, but I am still happy with the outcome.

I also finished Ella's Fancy Pants. I love this pattern, it came together beautifully, though is quite wide in the leg on my skinny minny. The pants are made from embroidered denim from Spotlight, and I added back pockets and ruffles to the bottom of each leg. The next time I make this pattern, I plan to shorten the waist, add front pockets and then a separate waist band. I made a size 2 length, size 0 waist (pulled in tighter with elastic),and although they are a little long, she is barefoot in the photo's.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Winter Nightie

This nightie was my first attempt at playing with interlock, a gorgeous print from Spotlight. The pattern is modified from a New Look PJ pattern I have (these PJ's are the same pattern, and I've made some summer nighties also). It is originally a short sleeve, V-neck top which I have turned into a round neck, lengthened the arms, and lengthened the hem. It sits quite large on Ella so she should get two winters out of it, hopefully!

Close up of the print...

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Pants in advance

I have a very bad habit of buying way too many clothes for my children. They have way more than they can ever wear! So when I want to make them something, but they don't need it! 

So... I am sewing for the next Summer and winter season. Okay, really I just wanted to make these pants but Billy has so many pants for this winter, and the pattern started at a 2 which is way too big for him this winter. So I pulled some gorgeous navy cord out of the cupboard and decided on some olive green thread for the stitching. It's not as thick as I would like, but the last time I tried using specific topstitch thread, it kept breaking on me. So regular it is. 

The front of the pants have pockets, the first time I have attempted this style of pocket. I love the look of the double stitching on them. The fly is fake.

The back also has two pockets with double stitching.

Close up of the back pockets...

Close up of the front pocket detail. I also really like the way the waistband was done on this pattern, make a circle leaving half the seam open, fold in half, then stitch on both sides of the band at the same time. It did require a little bit of hand sewing (my pet hate) but gave a very neat finish!

The only problem now is that they won't fit Billy for 12 months! 

I am thinking that with a few alterations this pattern could turn into a really nice pair of pants for Ella. It would need to be a lot narrower, and I love a bootleg cut on her, but I think it could work.